Monday, February 16, 2009

A baby filled weekend

When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces...and that was the beginning of fairies. - J.M. Barrie

That was the first sentence of the baby shower invitation my mother and sisters sent out. It was extraordinarily appropriate, not just because our nursery theme is fairies, but because this past weekend was filled with laughter.

I arrived at the Manchester airport about 2 hours late after flying via Newark from Charlotte. Along the way, I got air sick and sat in the plane for over an hour on the runway. So needless to say, I was extremely happy to arrive! And I've officially learned my lesson that paying a bit more for a direct flight is 100% worth it...

Friday afternoon I borrowed my mom's car and went to see Mommy, Esq. and her family. I was very glad to get some alone time with the twins because I couldn't get my hands on them for the rest of the weekend. There were too many other family members and friends waiting in line! It was wonderful for me because in about 6 weeks I will have my own little one. I observed Kristin and Aaron as they went through the bed time rituals with the twins. It was such a big difference from my visit in September. Ned and Penny have so much personality and are constantly laughing and smiling. They definitely made me even more excited to meet my daughter.

Saturday was my baby shower and it was absolutely wonderful. So many family members and friends were able to be there, despite the fact that it was Valentine's Day and the start of school vacation in Massachusetts. I did wish that DH could have been with me but he was probably very relieved to not be subject to 30+ women talking about pregnancy and babies! Everyone was extremely generous and I cannot wait to finish up the nursery and share photos. I also have so many cute outfits for the little one I won't even know which one to start with! Regardless I'm sure we will take a million photos and I will post them for you all to see once she has arrived.

Me showing off a special blanket made by my grandmother, Mimi, for our little girl.

Two (and a half!) generations of Jenkins women. Yes, Mommy, Esq. and I look very much alike!

Jeremy's family was also able to join. Here are three generations of Sweeney women.

On Sunday we went to our family's church for the twins' Christening. Or baptism. I am using them interchangeably so someone feel free to correct me if I am in error. Ready Mommy, Esq.'s account here.
I haven't been to church in forever and definitely not since the previous senior pastor retired. He was the one who married DH and me, not to mention my sisters and their husbands and he also presided over three family funerals. Needless to say, it was strange not to have him there. But the service was lovely and the twins were incredibly well behaved. No crying and complete pandering to the congregation. Mommy, Esq. claims it was luck but I think she should take more credit for her organizational skills. The kids were just up from a nap and bottles were ready for eating once the actual baptism was completed. They also managed to keep their white outfits in pristine condition, even with Penny's "toxic" diaper!

By the way, does anyone know when it became acceptable to wear jeans to church? I was appalled to see kids and their parents (!) so casually dressed.

Aren't we sooo cute?



1 comment:

Donna said...

Can't wait to see some of the gifts! How did you get them all back home?