Sunday, October 5, 2008

Community Service - Giving Back through Second Harvest

When I was in high school and college I did quite a bit of community service. In fact, one time I was volunteering at the Senior Center (pre-license days) and my mom totally forgot me. This was in the days of pay phones, not cell phones, so it was three hours later when she showed up. Nevertheless, I persevered and continue to perform all kinds of community service. At first it was about getting into college but I found myself really enjoying altruistic activities. Post college I was more focused on making some money, hanging out with my roommates and enjoying the Boston nightlife in my early twenties than seeking out community service opportunities.

After my MBA program I settled into home ownership and married life down South and didn't do much for the past year. But BigFinance is very supportive of community service initiatives and gives several days a year for associates to take off work and give back. So I, along with 11 other members of my program, went to Second Harvest on Friday for a half day of service. I feel trendy because I saw a picture in UsWeekly of Ben Afflack also doing the same thing in LA. We spent 3 1/2 hours sorting donated food so that Second Harvest can provide food to low income families. There were some interesting canned food we came across:



It was great to spend time outside of work with other associates. While I wouldn't have considered it back breaking work, Kyon certainly did!



All in all, it was a great way to spend a Friday afternoon and I look forward to many more hours of community service. Well, as many as I can squeeze in before the baby comes!

How about the rest of you? How have you helped the community recently? Do you have any good ideas for our next event?

1 comment:

Natalie said...

you're such a giver. I wanted to see a picture of you though. Dying to see the baby bump!!!! i was actually thinking about the same thing recently and i've got to start giving back myself.