Friday, November 21, 2008

Gimpy

Yesterday was my last day of Green Belt training. Our class was apparently wicked smart and zoomed through the material which meant that we didn't need to go in for Friday's half day session. Considering the material was very basic I was relieved to only have one more full day of DMAIC.

Per usual I was ready to go around 7 AM. After finding out that DH ate the last bagel I knew I had to stop for breakfast on my way or I would never make it to lunch time. Doesn't he know to never, ever take food from a pregnant woman? DH had kindly started my car on Wednesday morning as we are getting down below freezing at night and my car is parked in the driveway. I decided it would be a good idea for me to do the same thing on Thursday morning. So I popped out of the house and down the four stairs to the driveway. The only problem? The leaves had piled up in that corner of the driveway and I missed the last step.

Now one could argue that it was my natural clumsiness or lack of attention (both valid) but I am blaming the fall on the pregnancy. Isn't clumsiness a common thing with a shift in center of gravity? I landed on my butt and wrenched my left ankle. I'm not really sure how it happened but it did. After a minute of swearing, I hauled myself up and started the car. It was slightly painful but not a big deal. I was hardly limping.

I went back in, bitched to DH about it and went on my merry way. What I wasn't prepared for was the 9 hours in class that allowed the ankle to stiffen up completely and made a minor injury into an extremely painful one. I managed to hobble out for lunch but by 4:30 I could barely make it the 30 feet to the bathroom. It took me about 15 minutes to walk back to my car (as opposed to the normal 5) and a security guard lapped me twice.

DH was kind enough to go grocery shopping without me which is good because I would have been moaning through the aisles the whole time. I rested with my ankle propped up and am happy to report that I'm doing much better today. Still a little sore (and now my right leg is too from trying to take all the weight off my left one) but I can manage stairs and trips to the kitchen for food. And really, isn't that the most important thing?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

oh you poor thing, I'm glad it wasn't a more serious injury! Just sit back and let DH pamper you, you are, after all, working on something pretty special.

Scott Sweeney said...

It was clumsiness....don't blame that on my (insert niece/nephew here _____).

Donna said...

I fell when I was about 8 mos pregnant with DS2. I did something to my big toe on my right foot. Seriously, it has never been the same. It feels all out of joint somedays and it has been 7 mos! I don't think it is ever going back to normal - of course it doesn't help that I have a toddler that insists on stepping on my feet all the time. Hope you heal up quickly!