Wednesday, March 4, 2009

AI Season 8: Group C performs

Von Smith, "You're All I Need to Get By" by Marvin Gaye. It's not a good Marvin Gaye song. Von makes his usually weird faces while singing. He also starts very low in his vocal range which does not work. Flash to his mom who is jumping up and down like a crazy person when he's done. Randy liked it, Kara said he "did it," Paula thinks America will love him and Simon said he was a "spicier" Clay Aiken. Were my ears stuffed with wool? I didn't think he was very good.

Taylor Vaifauna, 17, sings"If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keyes. She is the girl from Utah who moved there from Hawaii to get "noticed." She looks like she's lost a ton of weight (not that she really needed to) and shallowly I think she looks great. She picks a good contemporary song but I don't really know it. So I'm not sure if it's a weird arrangement or if she just gets out of synch with the beat. Either way it's not so good and Taylor must know it since she starts crying immediately. The judges basically write her off as do I.

Alex Wagner-Trugman (slightly dorky kid I really like) sings "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues." He admits to reading the online comments about himself and is very charming in his interview. Too bad his song is a total mess. Just terrible. And it's coupled with cheesy growling and dance moves. The judges rightly call him on it.

Arianna Afsar tackles the ABBA classic "Winner Takes It All." I'm surprised by the song selection because it's pretty depressing. It's too bad everything is kind of a mess because she is a really cute girl and 17 (think Randy will comment on that? of course) and has the package. Except for the singing...

Ju'not Joyner sings this season's "It song" as seen through the Hollywood auditions, "Hey There, Delilah." I think he does a great job although he did sing it in Hollywood and didn't get shit on about it like Taylor did. Probably because he did a better job. I really liked his stripped down version and he could be a dark horse to make it through to the Top 12.

Kristen McNamara, of Team Compromise has fortunately decided to tone down the hair and remove the pink. She sings"Give Me One Reason." The girl can definitely sing but there was something off about the song. Plus she is up against Lil Rounds so it is doubtful she will make it through.

Also not making it? Nathaniel Marshall singing Meatloaf's "I Would Do Anything for Love." I hate this kid. I think my hate is about double that for Adam Lambert and that's saying a lot. Anyone else think it's ironic he performs right after Kristen and they both were on Team Compromise? Just me? OK. I tell DH, "I'm getting a weird Olivia Newton-John vibe from him. I think it's the headband and overall style." Simon totally agrees with me! I love it. If he picked a better song and had a better style and was less "drama queen" he might make it through.

Felicia Barton is this season's comeback kid and was brought back after another contestant got the boot. She's very pretty and a stay at home mom. Must be nice. She picks an Alicia Keyes song and does a decent job. She struggles to hit some notes but she is much better than most of the contestants. In fact, this whole group is much better than the majority from Group A and B. The judges think she did a good job. She might have a shot at Top 12 except no one knows her. But my friend Natalie was inspired to vote, so you never know!

Scott MacIntyre sings "Mandolin Rain." Does anyone think this kid is not getting into the Top 36? I would be surprised. He does an OK job. I like that Scott doesn't give off the creepy blind guy vibe. He appears to "look" at the audience and the camera. Yes, I am a terrible person. Let's move on, shall we? The judges slobber all over him per usual.

Kendall Beard picks Martina McBride's "This One's For the Girls" and is this just the second time we've heard a country song in the Top 36? I think so. She is cute and blond and does a decent job. She could be another dark horse for the Top 12.

Jorge Nunez picks Elton John's "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me." I predict that Jorge will be the third selected from Group C to move on to the Top 12. He has the Latino vote nailed down and he's cute. What more does he need? Oh yeah, he sings pretty good too...

And, as usual, "Idol" saves the best for last. In this case, Lil Rounds singing Mary J's "Be Without You." She's freaking amazing. She sounds like she is already a professional. "Brilliant," says Simon. Randy says she is one of the best of the season, Kara calls her a power house and Paula said she is first class.

So who's in? I predict Lil Rounds, Scott MacIntyre and Jorge Nunez. I would put Ju'Not in the wild card along with Kendall Beard and Felicia Barton. Who will move on? We'll see in less than an hour!!

No comments: