Thursday, October 8, 2009

Being a baseball widow

I've mentioned many times in this blog that DH is a baseball fan. No, he deserves the un-shortened version of the word: fanatic. He is obsessed with all things baseball, but especially his beloved Yankees. Since April I have suffered along with DH as he managed his two fantasy baseball teams. Well, three but one was free so he didn't really talk about that one. I suffered because I had to hear in detail about how his team wasn't doing as well as it should because of the "stupid" things that the other team owners did. Or how luck the other teams were. Or how unlucky DH was. I heard stats and possible outcomes until my eyes glazed over. Per usual he made too many trades when he should have just left his team alone. But he did manage to eek out a second place win in one league. I had to hear about the tight race for second every night for the past two weeks as he constantly checked his line up, StatTracker and wavered on picking up new pitchers. It was torture for both of us.

So you can imagine my relief when I was told this past weekend that fantasy baseball was over. Well, until next year. The only problem? Now it is the post season and the Yankees are entering it with the best record in baseball. What does that mean for me? Y'all (yes, I live in the South now) know how much I love TV right? Usually I can tape two shows at one time while we watch a pre-recorded one. Not when the Yankees are in the post-season! DH informed me in no uncertain terms that he is watching every minute of the post season on our flat screen HDTV. I can't fault him for that. It is way better than our other TV. My only problem is that we don't have a Fios-type system so I can't watch any DVR'd shows in the other room. Thank goodness for Hulu. I was able to watch FlashForward from last week. DH stopped Glee from recording because it overlapped with Modern Family and would interfere with the live game. Fortunately Hulu carries Glee episodes.

Is it any wonder I hope that the Yankees lose quickly in the post season? Well, I am a Red Sox fan too....

2 comments:

Jordan said...

We all hope the Yankees get bounced early in the playoffs. It is an annual right of Fall. I haven't enjoyed post-season baseball in 12 years since the Orioles made the playoffs after my senior year of college (damn I'm old).

Imagine if you had to go through this without Hulu. God bless the internet.

T. said...

Let's go Red Sox!! Boooo Yankees!!