Friday, April 17, 2009

Mommy group to the rescue

Ever since DH and I have moved to Charlotte we have found it difficult to make friends. We had a really great set (hi Janusz and Stacy!) but they abandoned us to move to Germany. Boo! Part of the problem is that DH works from home and I work with mostly men and usually with remote team members. So I decided while pregnant that I would make every effort to meet other new moms and hopefully strike up some friendships.

I did some searching online and came across a group, The New Moms of South Charlotte. I went to my first meet and greet today and it was wonderful. A little stressful making the timing work with Cameron's schedule but well worth the effort. I am hoping to do another event next week - a play date for infants. And since infants don't do anything, it's more of a play date for moms. The biggest challenge in joining the group is that a big majority of the moms are stay-at-home which means a lot of the play dates are during the week days. Obviously that isn't a problem now but it will be when I'm back at work. Good thing I have another couple of months to meet moms and establish some friendships! Who knew that making friends could be this much work? It was so easy when I was in college or just starting my career. But now that I'm saddled with DH and Cameron (just kidding!) it makes things harder. Does anyone else find that the older we get the harder it is to make new friends?

In other news I took Cameron for another (!) weight check yesterday. She is now at 7 pounds, 12 ounces and above her birth weight. She gained 9 ounces in 8 days. And I am now officially relieved and will not be stressing about her feedings any more. Yeah, right. Let me tell you, some of the babies I met today were huge compared to Cameron. Granted, she was the youngest at only 3 weeks but I saw one kid that was 6 months old and looked like he was at least a year. I'm glad I have some time to work up my weak arm muscles as Cameron gradually gains weight.

1 comment:

ATaylor said...

We had the exact same problem when we moved it took us along time to meet folks, the mommy group will be a good way.