Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go

Today is my last day of maternity leave. For the past three months I have exclusively worn my mommy hat. BigFinance's policy is to shut off all access to company systems while on parental leave. That means no email, no phone calls, nothing but focusing on my little one. Isn't that wonderful?

Of course now that means I have to put my work hat back on and get my brain functioning again. I will be switching projects at work which is a good thing in a way. I will be able to have a ramp up period which makes things a bit easier. The downside is that I have to learn a ton of new things in a short amount of time.

Cameron decided to celebrate my return to work by keeping me up all night. She had a very slight cough yesterday that turned into a full blown cold starting at 10:30 PM. I alternatively fed her, rocked her and held her until 5:30 AM when DH took over. I called my pediatrician's office and was advised I can give her some Benadryl for her cough. I did give her some Tylenol for her fever and will probably do that again if it gets above it's current 99.5 degrees. The cut off for staying home from school? 100 degrees. Here's hoping she doesn't hit that. And if she does, DH will have to take over...there is no way I can jump ship my first day back at work. Here's also hoping tonight goes better and I get more than 3 hours of sleep!

How have other people handled their first day back? I plan on working 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM so I can pick up Cameron from school by 5 PM. Will I break down and leave earlier? How many times will I call to check in on her (especially because she is not feeling great)? How long will it take us to get a morning routine down?


LauraC said...

I think it depends on the person! I didn't call at all since we had done a few days the week before. I did leave early only bc I didn't have that much work the first week back.

Good luck tomorrow!

Amanda said...

I left early, skipped lunch so I could. I also called once, but I worked from home for 3 weeks before returning so I was a little anxious to get in the office and get some real work done so I stayed pretty distracted. Also, you'll have lots of coworkers stop to chit chat the first couple of days.

Andrew and Connor's Mom said...

The hardest part is keeping your mind at work. I found it best to cut off from the kids cold turkey. I tried not call if at all possible, but with her not feeling well, I would probably allow a call or two to check on her. They will call you if they need you. Try to get her into routine as well as possible. If you figure it will take 1 hour to get yourself and her ready, give yourself an hour and a half just to be on the safe side.

jerseygirl77 said...

So sorry to hear Cameron is not feeling well! I hope she gets better soon! I'm surprised the doctor suggested the Benadryl.

If you feel like you want to call to check in on her tomorrow, then call. Daycares are used to having worried mamas calling in to check up on their little ones!

Good luck!!!